Deciding to build your home can be an exciting but nerve-wracking experience and, unfortunately, not all builders are created equal.
To avoid some common pitfalls and to make sure you receive the level of service you need, it makes sense to ask home builders these 10 questions up front:
1. Are you a registered builder? Check here
2. Do you use a fixed price contract (on a standard MBA or HIA contract)?
3. Are these items included:
a. Site works
c. Council planning costs
e. Wall painting
f. What electrical is included e.g. the number of power points and number of lights?
4. How much is your variation fee? This is the administration fee that is added to the cost of the design or construction change.
5. What can I supply for the build?
6. How many houses will my supervisor be looking after?
7. Have you won any awards recently?
8. Have you had any disputes at the Building Commission in the last 12 months?
9. If I have questions, who do I contact during construction? Can the supervisor meet me on site?
10. How will you keep me informed during construction?
These questions were provided by eHomeBuilder and they deliver more fantastic home building guidance here.
As with all construction projects, it is best to choose a builder who fits the type of build you are looking for. You need a builder who will not only build your home for you, but one that will allow the level of input and discussion you require.
Don’t rush in or be pressured into making a decision you aren’t comfortable with.
Please Note: Building Solutions (Aust) Pty Ltd and Home Solutions (Aust) Pty Ltd do not have a commercial arrangement with eHomeBuilder and they do not receive referral fees from them.